Date: March 10, 2020: We want to assure you that we are closely following the developments with the novel (new) coronavirus and the illness known as COVID-19. We will provide updates as new information that may affect the health and safety of students and staff is available.
As in past situations where our community has faced the possibility of an outbreak of a contagious illness, College Community School District will follow recommendations from the Iowa Department of Education, Linn County Public Health, the Iowa Department of Public Health, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Everyone can do their part in prevention and preparation:
- First and foremost, please keep your child home from school if they are sick with flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath. It is recommended that people with these symptoms stay home from school, work, public spaces, and social gatherings to prevent others from getting ill.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing and throw the tissue away immediately after you use it. If a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your inside elbow area.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you cough or sneeze. If you are not near water, use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid travel and large gatherings in the coming weeks.
As a school district, we are taking the following prevention and monitoring steps as recommended by the Iowa Department of Public Health:
- As it becomes available from our suppliers, all classrooms and high-traffic areas will have hand sanitizer available for use by students, staff, and visitors.
- School staff will frequently reinforce the importance of appropriately washing hands to prevent the spread of illness with students.
- As supplies are available in our area, classrooms will have anti-bacterial wipes for school staff to use as needed throughout the day.
- Our custodians regularly clean and disinfect all classrooms and common areas daily. We will enhance these routines by applying additional disinfectant to commonly touched surfaces and restrooms. Busses will also be sanitized daily.
- We are monitoring locations in which students and staff are scheduled to be traveling, both within the country and internationally and supporting the cancellation or rescheduling of those experiences. Additional information will be shared with families who are affected.
- We are monitoring student and staff attendance daily at all schools and district-wide to determine any fluctuations in our attendance patterns.
Trusted resources for additional information about COVID-19 and Coronavirus are available here: